Thursday, August 19, 2010

Canadian police find bears guarding pot crop

VANCOUVER (Reuters) – A pair of marijuana growers in Western Canada appear to have been using bears to protect their illegal crop, but the well-fed animals proved to be a bit lax in their guard duties, police said on Wednesday.
Officers were dismantling two large outdoor plots of marijuana near Christina Lake, British Columbia, when they realized there were 10 large black bears wandering around the farm property, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said.
Officers were initially worried the bears might be dangerous, but quickly realized the animals were actually very docile and content just to sit around as the marijuana was seized, police said in a news release.
Two people were arrested in connection with the drugs.
The bears, which were apparently being fed dog food to keep them on the property, may eventually have to be put down, police said.
Well, that was certainly a great idea on paper!  These bears should first make an appearance on David Letterman then be shipped to a nice zoo somewhere, like in Vancouver.  They'd be great mascots to the smoking masses.  If tourism wasn't big enough there now, these bears would probably be a draw. 

Too bad I don't have my real computer available or I would have photoshopped a nice pic of a grizzly smoking a joint.  Adding Cheech and Chong brought back memories of that night back in the 90's when I smoked a joint with Tommy Chong, with Brian, Mark, and a couple other friends.  It was after one of his yearly comedy shows here.  What a night.  I brought 3 nice fatties of the sticky green stuff I was growing in my walk-in closet.  We enjoyed one before the show, then one with Chong after it outside the building, and he signed the last one for me.  It's hanging in a frame over there on the wall right now, having survived several dry spells.  I could never bring myself to slice it open, although I was really tempted a few times.  :D  HAH!  So how's everyone today?

8 comments:

  1. when your down just roll one up and all your cares go up in smoke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why on earth would someone use bears to protect their crop? Well fed bears are no threat to anyone. They're actually pretty friendly when they've got enough to eat. Dogs & an electric fence probably would have worked a lot better. Idiots!
    Wow, Tommy Chong, huh? Cool! I've never smoked with anyone famous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen! Well that's the only one for me. I drank a beer with Dan Marino once but that's about it. Hey I'm just working with Brian on the phone, he's making his blog. It's still in it's infancy right now so check in here and there. He's taking a trip out west in a couple weeks and this is a good way to chart his travels and for him to show his photography.

    I agree that dogs would have been better but you gotta admit that word of mouth would have everybody but the police avoiding the property. Bears! AHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh btw Brian is "the Once-ler" over there on the friends' blogs list. ;)

    Bubba is my friend Dan, known for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops, I hit the wrong button & deleted my post. I hate when I do that.
    So where is Brian going? It's cool that he'll have somewhere to post his photography. He takes some beautiful pictures!
    Anyways, I'm off to bed. Gotta be up at 3 AM to go to work. On the plus side, it means my weekend will start a little earlier than usual. :) Goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He and my parents are winding up through the last states Brian needs to fill in his full 50, starting in New Mexico I think. Maybe he'll come to the zoo and you guys can have an Orange Julius together. HAH! Not miss each other by 2 hours like Mike. LOL. Damn, they don't give you any chance to set up any biorhythms do they? Up at 3, up at 7, etc. They need to hire a Bio-Psychologist. They're killing you! Anyway, have a good last day of the week, see you on the weekend! Gnight...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a feeling that story about the black bears "guarding" the pot farm would show up here. Unfortunately, that stupid bitch is giving potheads a bad name by feeding them dog food! SHE should be the one "put down" not the bears!

    ReplyDelete