Monday, November 1, 2010

Almost time to get ill...

Many years ago my buddies and I discovered the unrated version of Caligula, and decided that it was the most fucked up movie we had ever seen.  We watched it often.  A few years later, I turned my brother Brian on to it, with the warning that "Once seen, it cannot be unseen".  He agreed that it was definitely the most disturbing movie out there.  For years the movie held that title, but Brian informed me last week that a new contender had appeared on the horizon.  In his opinion it had even surpassed the unrated Caligula on the brain warp-o-meter.  So my copy of The Human Centipede arrived today, and in an hour or so I'm going to open an uncharacteristic weeknight beer, have a shmoke, and watch it to see for myself.  I've been warned that this movie as well cannot be unseen once it's been seen.  I accept this and am as prepared as I'm gonna get.  Looking forward to it.  I'll post my review after I watch it if I'm not drooling on myself or on my way to a mental hospital.

5 comments:

  1. Pffftt... Horror? HAH! That was a freakin COMEDY. Ok, I'll give them the disturbing premise, and I can see why it's got Brian in a twist, but I just laughed the whole time. In my book, unrated Caligula still reigns. A much more diverse display of depravity and moral wrongness. More emotions in play than seeing 3 people sewn together in series. Putting the Asian guy in front was absolutely hysterical. Alright, so I'm not sorry to have it in my collection, I'm sure it'll very quickly become a cult classic. It'll be good for laughs. Brian, were you bothered at all that the centipede had six eyes? So my official review is that it's a decent way to spend an hour and a half if you're in the mood for some laughs and if you need a reason not to hate your life such as it is. Yes, it could be much, much worse. Without knocking the directing too much, I think the suspense could have been deepened at times and I think the filming was mediocre, as in camera angles, interesting composition of a scene, panning to encompass a larger area but still retain a claustrophobic composition... etc. The camera shots seemed very retro, maybe that was their intention. I don't know, I'm not a film maker, why you askin' me? Hah! Ok anyway, rent it before you buy it, but you'll probably enjoy it and it's my guess it'll be an instant cult classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I just had a thought, Six wrote and directed it, but if it had been directed by Quentin Tarantino it would have rocked. Better special effects too. And a better score. Another good option would be to do it with midgets. Put ten of 'em in a row. Talk about funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed I may have built it up too much for you bro but my warning remains for those out there that can not say no; it is not for the faint of heart. My advice; don't see it at all. Stick with Disney movies that leave you happy and whistling. There is no need to have this thing rolling around in your head. The captains comments correct on all points, but I will never be the same having seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, guys. Now how about telling us about a GOOD movie? Seen any lately? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A mate of mine is still trying to get the vision of that movie out of her head lol. I ended up watching the trailer when she told me about it.. funny.. but just wrong! haha

    ReplyDelete