Thursday, October 28, 2010

I wonder if my brother has the balls for one of THESE...

So Brian has been racking up the miles with his new bike for a few weeks now, but there are still new frontiers to explore.  This thing is called a Uno Moto, from what I read I guess it works like a Segway.  Not that I've tried one of those yet so I don't know, but it's keenly attuned to balance and goes forward when the operator leans forward and the brakes work when leaning back.  I don't think I like the idea, I mean how do you not lean back just a bit when you take off?  I can't imagine taking off really fast, you'd be trying to lean forward to scoot ahead but the faster you tried to go, the more backward you'd be pulled resulting in braking.  Plus I would want the luxury of immediate brakes at my fingertips (or toes) in an emergency and not have to hope I could change my balance before slamming into something.
Still, a couple teams of several of these things would definitely make for an interesting modern form of Zoo Zither Karzay.  I think though that it's ultimately going to be looked at as more fatal than enjoyable.  Now, General Grievous had a sweet ride, that monocycle had the right physics in mind.  The gyroscope effect would keep that thing upright at even fairly slow speeds.
Not to mention that it also had four retractable legs and could run like an animal if it needed to.  Maybe some day someone will build something like this that we all could use, and without South Park's unique flavor of humor involved, remember the "it"?
Oh, wait, they did!  Seems that all a person needs is a large supply of engineering talent, a very comfortable bank account, and the luxury of immortality, given the risks involved in the experimentation phase of the project.
Now all we need is for some company to come along and take care of the testing and dying problems for us regular folk... oh wait, they did!
Ok, these only go 25 mph off a 31cc four stroke 1 1/2 hp engine, but whatever, seems like the future to me.  We gotta get people out of those gigantic monstrosities they drive around in these days.  (I know, families.  The absolute biggest non-commercial vehicle on the road should be the size of a PT Cruiser.  And commercial vehicles have to stay to the bigger roads.  Non-commercial roads should look something like Central Park in NYC.)  Lower speed limits, more fun, and Valium and Xanax available at every fast food restaurant.  And when the light goes yellow and you're in the stopping zone, your engine automatically cuts power down.  No more "I'm immune to red lights" syndrome.  Yeah.  Elect me King... I'll create a world worth living in.  So Brian, which one is next???

No comments:

Post a Comment