Tuesday, September 23, 2014

WHY did The Big Bang Theory cut Penny's hair to look like Miley Cyrus?

It seems that the producers of The Big Bang Theory have lost their "Beautiful Minds".  I tuned in, excited to see season 8, and what did I see?  Penny has cut her hair and now looks almost exactly like Miley Cyrus.  She looks terrible.  For seven years I had nothing but respect for what I considered to be one of the most entertaining comedies ever.  Last night, they flushed that straight down the toilet by turning the sweet, kinda ditzy hot chick into a cheap knockoff of a cheap teen idol, and added insult to injury by forcing her into a role she's clearly not fit to play, a high end pharmaceutical rep. 

I'm not going to spend much time here going over what the majority of the world's population already knows, that Miley Cyrus is a poor excuse for entertainment.  Trampy, vulgar, and cheap is nothing to aspire to, and in my opinion the producers have shot themselves in the foot by giving Penny this nearly identical look.

Why on earth they felt this was a necessary change to a show that was clearly on a very popular roll is beyond me.  I'm on a mission to let as many people know about this MISTAKE as I can, and pretty much the only reason I'm going to keep watching is so I can list the advertisers and first email them, then boycott them.  I suggest as many people as possible do the same.  The producers' decision to do this has completely undermined my confidence in them delivering any kind of future that perpetuates their past success.  Given the option of this or having the series end last season, I'd choose having it end.  I'll give them three more episodes to compile my list of advertisers and to see if they may actually turn things around so the show makes more sense.  If they don't, then unfortunately I'm done with the series, and that's a huge bummer because I really loved this show.  Until last night.

THIS is Penny.  THIS is the girl across the hall we've all enjoyed watching for seven years.  THIS IS WHAT I (and I'm sure a lot more of you out there) WANT BACK!




2 comments:

  1. It is not a Miley haircut, it is an Ellen haircut. They are different. And to boycott a show over a haircut is ridiculous, as is to devote precious time to making an issue over it is more ridiculous. The character Penny initially followed the traditional "male eye" script, serving a purpose as the dumb attractive blonde who serves as viewing pleasure and as a restricting force, and Mother (to Sheldon) in the world of intelligent and quirky 'nerd and geek' males. Penny's character has developed as time has past and in real life people also transform. And has also changed script convention as script convention, and convention evolve over time also. I applaud this. We are seeing woman as strong and independent, intelligent roles which is what we need and want to see. Star Wars is an example of this, with an intelligent female hero lead. Why are you not having a major uproar about the other character's transformations?
    Sheldon has got a girlfriend, kissed a girl, had a sleep over with his girlfriend, and proposed to his girlfriend - a complete transformation from his initial character. As well as Howard went to space, got married and his intial womanising character has gone. And Raj who couldn't speak to women initially is now speaking to women. A evolving show has proven to be successful. Dr Who has had multiple character changes (an understatement) remains over the longest time period of any show, to be one of the most successful to date. Big Bang Theories' attraction has always been the clever writing, the acting, and most of all the humor, which it still has.

    ReplyDelete