Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It wasn't easy... continued

Continued from earlier...

No, it didn't look like Dr. Zoidberg, but that's an awesome painting.  Not one of mine, unfortunately.

The first thing I had to do was stop the alarms beeping... and as I hit both the radar and sonar switches, I saw a gigantic tentacle fall right in front of me.  It was so close, I knew I had only one chance.  I saw that the tentacle had too much downward momentum, I knew that extending the sub-surface fins and diving under wasn't an option, so I did the exact opposite.  I pushed the throttle forward to full, and I was pushed back in my chair as the triple engines raged to their maximum thrust.  The bow raised up as I went from a hard left at 60 knots to  a straight run at 120.  The bow hit the top of the partially submerged tentacle, and I went airborne.  I knew this was my chance to get the best shot possible on most of the creature, so I grabbed the weapons joystick and jabbed the reverse angle button on the viewer.  I quickly targeted about half a dozen flailing tentacles, and just on chance, I sent another three missiles toward what I estimated as the center of the whole mess.  I closed my finger around the "fire" trigger and two seconds later the boat hit the water.

I saw a blinding flash in the viewer and a split second later it surrounded the ship, lighting up the ocean like daylight for a half mile in every direction.  The boat bounced across the water twice like a flat stone on a lake, then grabbed hold of the water and shot forward fully powered again.  I glanced between the rear viewer and the sonar for a minute, and breathed a sigh of relief as I saw several separate blips fading away behind me on the sonar.  The big blip kept moving though... I could tell it was still alive.  

I had made it, survived The Kraken.  We had survived it before, aboard The Abyss... but we were a crew of many on a large ship then.  I knew it was rare to see it twice, but since it was in the area I felt bad that I couldn't warn the skeleton crew left aboard my old ship.  I don't know what's worse, The Kraken or those Nazi Pests, but I hope they survive both.  I know we'll meet again somewhere, some day.  Maybe Singapore, maybe The Maldives.  Who knows?  It's a big ocean... 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite an adventure. No need to warn the crew on the old ship, as I think it's been abandoned. Maybe everyone jumped ship? Don't know. My computer has been down for a week. I just got it running again today.
    Anyways, hope all is well with you. I'll be checking in here & on the old ship when I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen, nice to see you. Thanks for dropping by. My internet has been out for a week also, I'm changing providers. I'll be around Nazi Pests once in a while but they're really getting too annoying to tolerate. I re-wrote the thing they bumped out... a little different maybe. :D

    ReplyDelete